Thursday, June 05, 2008

Training Time, for reals

So my cute, grody little neighborhood gym got sold to the big, shiny corporate chain gym that built a facility across the street. Oh, quel surprise on that one.
I debated for a couple weeks about what to do. It's a nicer gym, with nicer stuff, but at the current rate. And get this: two pools, one on the rooftop. Swank, right?
The more I thought about it though, the more it seemed that I'd essentially be paying $60 a month for use of a crowded pool on sunny Saturdays. In the end, it didn't seem like a good way to spend money, what with the lakefront path for running...and the lake alongside it for swimming on sunny Saturdays.
The other factor was this exciting news: running for the CFF team (Support Me!) gives me a temporary membership to the FFC gym just a few blocks away. I'll run with the team three times a week, and do cross training (yoga! pilates!) on the other days. If I can't make it to a team training, I can still go to the gym on my temp membership.
That really clinched it for me. I think having a team there is really going to help me with my motivation. It will definitely help me with speeding up my training: I'm scheduled for five miles Monday! Oh my. I think it's going to be a great summer of working my gluteus maximus to the maximum.

No comments: